Table of content
The data in labfolder are organized in a hierarchical structure, starting from entry elements to entries, projects and folders. You can customize each organization level to fit your own research requirements. The picture below depicts the hierarchical structure of data in labfolder.
Hopefully, you have found your way around your electronic notebook so far. This section of the guide covers the basics of your ELN, including the different data-entry methods, customizing the layout, and what you can find in the entry headers.
When you have an entry in your notebook, you can start adding notes and data to it. The first way you can enter data is into the text element. When you create a new entry, a text field will automatically appear for you to start working in. Double-click a text element to start editing it.
- Our ELN includes basic text formatting similar to Word, so you can format your text however you feel best suits your data.
- When you have finished editing, click the Save icon in the top right corner of the element and it will save and close automatically.
- To add another text element, click the + icon with horizontal lines next to it and get typing!
We know that letters and numbers are not the only way you will be expressing your data. This is why you are also able to make simple sketches in your ELN.
- Click the + icon with the pencil to create a sketch element.
- You can draw freehand or create rectangles, circles, lines, arrows, arrowheads, and asterisks.
- Save your sketch by pressing the save icon and you can close your sketch to move onto the next piece of data.
If you need your data in table form, we have you covered!
- Click the icon of a table with a + next to it.
- Enable editing by clicking the pencil icon.
- Give your table a name.
- Customize the content with alignment, text color, and more.
- Click on the save icon to save your data.
An important reason for digitizing your data is to have it integrated all in one place. To enable this you are able to upload all file formats into your ELN. This covers Word, Excel, images, PDFs, and more.
- Press the + icon with an upwards arrow.
- Select import file.
- Choose the file from your computer and upload!
Rearrange your blocks inside the entry
Changing the order of the elements you created is very easy using our drag & drop interface.
- Hover over the crossed arrow icon in the top right corner of an element.
- Drag it to whichever position in your entry you wish it to go.
- Release the mouse and you are done!
You are probably most interested in the actual data within your entries, but there is also important information to consider in the entry header. This is all about the entry and the data within. Working from left to right of the header, you will find a number of pieces of information.
Author: This is the person who created the entry and the only one who can perform changes to it.
Unique ID: The unique ID will show up as Entry N/Total, meaning the Nth entry out of the total number of entries you have in one project.
Entry title: Don’t forget to name your entry! Make it relevant to what is contained within, so you and others can easily identify the contents in the future.
Timestamps: The timestamps visible in the entry header are the dates on which the entry was created and then last edited.*
Tags: You can add tags to your entry to make it easier to retrieve later on. These should be also relevant to the content and make sense to search for.
*To ensure your timestamps are accurate, check that you have the correct time zone defined in your settings (Profile > Contact > Time zone).