Table of content
Scientific cooperation is at the heart of innovation! That is why our electronic notebook has a deep focus on sharing and collaborating. Using labfolder you will be able to have an overview of your entire project in a single place, including what your team members have added to it. No more emails asking for results, no more PDFs with graphs, no more tasks written on a post-it for your colleague.
Create a group project
- Go to Manage > Projects.
- You will see that a Group Projects: Group X folder will have been automatically created when you created the group.
- Click the +Add button and add a new project.
- Choose the Group folder.
Your group will then be able to start creating entries in those projects, visible to all relevant members.
If using labfolder’s Advanced version, you will also be able to define custom share settings for each team member. This feature assures that the right people have access to the correct data.
Create a shared template repository
When you are working with a team in the lab, you are likely to share experiments and sometimes need to do the same ones. This is where Templates come in handy. When you create a template, you must choose in which template folder to save it in.
A Group templates folder is automatically created when you create a group in the ELN. Saving templates in a group’s templates folder will allow all members of that group to use that template. Like with projects, you can define custom share settings for each template or group of templates when inside a sub-folder.
Comments allow you to comment directly on entries that belong to common projects. This enables discussion of data in the place where the data actually is: the lab notebook. You no longer need to prepare presentations, PDFs, and send emails just to discuss a simple result.
- Add a comment by clicking the speech bubble icon in the right corner of the entry header.
- Press the +add comment text.
- Write your comment in the space provided and press Publish. Everyone part of the group that that project belongs to will be able to see your comment.
- Comments can also be replied to and resolved when the issue has been discussed.
Install collaboration tools
We know that being able to make entries in the same project is not the only way you will need to collaborate with your teammates. Within the ELN you will find a number of free-to-install apps that will further supercharge your teamwork, such as Messages and Tasks.
- Go to Manage > Apps.
- Click Install on the Apps you wish to install.
- Go to your Dashboard and you will see the Apps there, all ready for you to use!
Has the lab run out of an antibody? Is the microscope under maintenance?The Messages tool is great to discuss lab-related topics that are not about data. Keep your team up to date directly from your digital lab notebook!
- Start a messaging thread by clicking on the + icon in the top right corner of Messages.
- You have the option to select a group to message or leave that blank (selecting a group narrows the potential recipients to members of that group only).
- If you select a group, select the desired recipients, or the whole group to include everyone.
- After selecting the group, you can also add recipients one-by-one by typing their name in the To: box.
- Give the message a subject and contents and it is ready to send.
You can also switch views between your Inbox and Outbox.
How many times have you started an experiment and noticed that someone did not prepare the buffer? Or that the incubator you are putting your cells into was not properly cleaned? Now you know why labfolder offers a Tasks app! Create and assign tasks to your team members. You can even follow up on their progress and know when the task has been completed.
- Click the + icon in the top-right corner of the app.
- Choose a group to create the task in.
- Select who to assign the task to; yourself, someone else, or no-one.
- Select the Status of the task, it will most likely be Assigned, but the In progress option is also available.
- Title and describe the task and then click Assign.
- Once the task is created, the assignee can go and edit the task.
- Upon task conclusion, the assignee can change the status to Resolved.